MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center is one of the few hospitals in the area to offer Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, a branch of Cardiac Rehabilitation including a medically-supervised exercise program that helps improve the health and wellness of individuals with heart and lung disease. Participating in a Cardiopulmonary Rehab program has been shown to increase a person’s chances of living longer following a heart event.
- Improve heart health in recovery from a heart attack or heart surgery
- Reduce your risk for future heart events, hospital stays, and other heart related complications
- Improve stamina, endurance, and overall strength
- Decrease weight, pain, and need for medications to treat your disease
- Decrease stress and provide emotional support during your recovery
- Improve quality of life by making it easier to work, take part in social activities, and stay independent
To join MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center's Cardiac Rehab program, you must:
- Get a referral from your doctor
- Undergo a post-event/procedure exercise stress test (unless your doctor indicates otherwise)
Once you begin the program, you will:
- Talk to the physician, who will ask you about your medical history and review the results of your stress tests
- Complete a six-minute walk test around a track, while your cardiac rehabilitation team monitors your heart rate and electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Receive your individual exercise prescription, which our team develops for you
We use the information obtained at the start of the program to create a personalized exercise program for you. We will evaluate your prescription throughout the program, so you can continue to progress appropriately toward recovery and independent fitness activities.
Our staff will teach you how the machines work and how to use them. We encourage you to attend the program for one hour of exercise training three times per week. The exact number of supervised exercise sessions depends on your individual needs as well as your insurance coverage. We will help you determine your benefits before you begin the program.
Communication with Your Cardiologist
Our physician and staff communicate closely with your cardiologist and your referring physician while you are a part of our program. We will notify them if there are any concerns about your heart rate and blood pressure, and if there is a reason to adjust your medication or if there are any other medical concerns.
Heart Health Education
In addition to exercise training, our program staff will provide you with educational information about various risk factors and lifestyle issues related to heart disease.
You may want to attend MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center's program because you:
- Want to exercise in a medically supervised environment due to uncontrolled blood pressure or other medical conditions
- Have recently completed our cardiac rehabilitation program
- Want to be active, but feel more comfortable with a supervised program
We will create a personalized exercise program that is right for you. Our staff includes an exercise physiologist and physical therapists who will supervise you while you exercise and check your blood pressure and heart rate. They will also guide you while you work out on the various machines. Please note: The Wellness Program is a self-pay program, and is not covered by health insurance.
Visit Us Today
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
7503 Surratts Road
Clinton, MD 20735
MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital
102 Irving Street, NW
Washington, DC 20010
Call us at 301-877-7370
For more information about the Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab Programs, please contact the cardiac rehab center with any questions or click on the links below.
Transitional Care Clinic (TCC)
The TCC serves congestive heart failure patients, and those suffering from COPD or pneumonia, who are over the age of 55, and have visited the hospital more than twice in six months, as well as patients who do not have support at home or an existing relationship with a primary care physician. At the TCC, staff can review patient history, help answer questions, steer patients to a primary care physician, order lab work and create future care plans such as a schedule for cardiac rehab visits. Call to learn more: 301-877-4661.
MedStar Southern Maryland Professional Building
7501 Surratts Rd
Clinton, MD 20735
- Monday and Friday; noon - 4 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursday; 8 a.m. - noon