Emergency Care Services
If you are facing a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1.
Where to find us: Our new Emergency Department is now located adjacent to the old main entrance, in the front of the hospital.
Patient drop-off: Patients and loved ones may be dropped off at the Emergency Department entrance using the main roundabout in front of the hospital.
Parking: Free parking is available directly in front of the main hospital building.
With expert physicians and experienced nurses, we offer comprehensive emergency evaluations and treatments—all within a caring and compassionate environment. We offer exceptional emergency treatment for other severe conditions including:
- Signs of heart attack or stroke
- Ranked among the top 10 stroke programs in Maryland, MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital’s Stroke Center has a long history of award-winning performance in stroke care. Our team, which will work with patients from the emergency room through rehabilitation, conducts CT scans, x-rays, EKGs, blood tests, and neurological exams within minutes to assess what type of stroke is occurring and what treatment options are available. To learn more, click here.
- Suspected poisoning or drug overdose
- Extreme emotional distress, including suicidal or homicidal feelings
- High blood pressure
- Diabetic emergencies
- Surgical emergencies
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Respiratory distress
- Minor burns
What to bring with you to the ER:
If you are headed to a MedStar Health Emergency Department, take a few minutes to gather information and items that will make your visit go smoothly. We recommend bringing:
- A family member or friend: Having someone with you can be emotionally comforting. If your condition is serious, you may need someone to provide information or instructions on your behalf.
- Identification cards: Driver's License, Social Security Card and insurance card(s). Insurance information is not required until before you're discharged.
- List of medications and dosage: This information will help the medical staff avoid prescribing drugs that will interact with medication(s) you're already taking.
- Primary care physician information: Contact information for your primary care physician is helpful should questions arise.
Interested in exploring our additional services? Try one of our other quality care options
MedStar Health Urgent Care
If you are not experiencing an emergency needing immediate care, community-based urgent care services are available. MedStar Health Urgent Care offers fast, convenient care for treatment of minor injuries and illnesses, such as cold and flu symptoms, infections, allergies, earaches and rising temperatures, treatments for sprains, strains, or broken bones, minor burns and cuts, sports physicals, migraines, flu shots, concussion evaluations, and onsite imaging and laboratory services.
Address: 37767 Market Drive, Ste 100m, Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
MedStar eVisit is available 24/7 and provides anytime access to urgent care for patients of all ages where it’s most convenient for you—at home, in the office or on the go. Connect using your smartphone, computer or tablet to get a diagnosis and prescription, if needed. You don’t have to be a MedStar Health patient to use this service—enrollment is free and no appointment is ever needed.
Enroll For Free. After registering, you can have a secure virtual consultation for a non-emergency medical issue within minutes through your computer or mobile device. Each visit costs only $49 or less* and insurance is not required. Learn more.
*MedStar eVisit is covered by some insurance providers. Contact your insurance provider to determine whether your visit will be covered.