A cancer diagnosis demands the best possible care. In winter 2019, our state-of-the-art infusion center opened its doors with eight infusion bays and two private exam rooms in a bright, airy environment. Depending on your recommended infusion cycles, treatment times can range from 15 minutes to eight hours. The infusion center is staffed with specially trained registered nurses and nurse practitioners who are certified in oncology care. They work closely with your physician to deliver seamless, coordinated care. We strive to make your time spent here as convenient as possible by offering free on-site parking and flexible scheduling.
You can expect:
- Personalized information and printed materials on treatment(s). These include symptom and side effect prevention and management
- A printed follow-up plan for each visit
- Access to free support and patient resource information from our Cancer Care Navigator and Oncology-Certified RNs
- Access to clinical trials and the latest breakthroughs in cancer care through our partnership with the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center — the only comprehensive cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) in the Washington, D.C., region.
Infusion center services include:
- Blood and blood product transfusions
- Dressing changes of central lines, PICC lines and midlines
- IV therapy of all types with prior approval, including but not limited to:
- Chemotherapy (these are powerful drugs used to kill cancer cells. Some can be administered by injection, an IV, or through pills)
- Targeted therapies, including immunotherapy
- Antibiotic therapy
- Remicade® infusion
- Iron infusion
- Bisphophonates (Zometa®/Reclast®)
- Lab draws from central lines and implanted ports
- Cortisol-stimulation timed tests
- Paracentesis pre- and post-albumin replacement
- Port access and maintenance
- PICC line removal (by appointment)
Meet our Medical Oncologist
Stephen "Eric" Rubenstein, MD is the Medical Director of Cancer Services for the MedStar Georgetown Cancer Institute at MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center – bringing unmatched expertise, the latest therapies, and research to the Southern Maryland region – all under the same roof. Board certified in hematology, oncology, and internal medicine, Dr. Rubenstein is well-versed in current research trends, and can treat a variety of different cancers and blood disorders.
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Rubenstein develops personalized treatment plans with a patient's entire care team, advocating for the latest options such as precision medicine and targeted therapies. His philosophy of care is to provide tailored treatments while respecting individual patient's goals and needs. Dr. Rubenstein's collaborative approach is intended to enhance the patient experience and improve outcomes.
“It’s in our best interest to create a comprehensive cancer care network for our community, to expand access to state-of-the-art care,” says Dr. Rubenstein. “The key is to let patients stay near home, in their community, and not have to travel for treatment. We know there are physical limitations associated with a cancer diagnosis and the ideal place to heal is at home under the careful watch of family, friends, and community.”
Prior to joining MedStar Health, Dr. Rubenstein served as Medical Director of Oncology Research with the Franciscan Physician Network in Indiana. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Indiana University, a master’s degree from Georgetown University, and attended medical school in Tel Aviv, Israel. His residency and fellowship took place at Albert Einstein and SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York and Dr. Rubenstein did research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.