Our breast care experts at MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center provide comprehensive breast care for both women and men. They treat a wide range of breast conditions, including breast cancer and benign breast disease. They also follow women who are at increased risk for developing breast cancer. Fortunately, most people who pass through our doors receive a clean bill of health. But for those who need extra care, our doctors are the gateway to specialized treatment.
Our treatment center is now home to the renowned Halcyon Machine which is among the latest in breast cancer treatment. When a breast lump is detected, we offer digital imaging tests to determine whether the lump is benign or malignant. If you are diagnosed with breast disease, we inform you about your options so you can make fully informed choices that meet your special needs.
Our breast health services include:
- Disease prevention: breast self-exam training, risk assessment, genetic testing
- Routine evaluation: annual well woman exams
- Breast imaging: screening, diagnostic and digital mammography, with breast radiologists to interpret the images
- Diagnostic evaluation: needle localization, open surgical biopsy, frozen section pathology, stereotactic biopsy, sentinel node biopsy
- Comprehensive treatment: treatment for benign breast disease and breast pain, fine needle aspiration, lumpectomy, partial or total mastectomy, reconstructive surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy
Multiple studies demonstrate better outcomes when patients are treated by a team of multidisciplinary experts.
Our experienced team of specialists includes:
- Breast surgeons
- Medical and radiation oncologists
- Plastic surgeons
- Nurse practitioners who specialize in high-risk patients
- Genetic counselors
The combination of dedicated specialists, state-of-the-art technology and compassionate staff assures that you will receive the best care available in an atmosphere that puts you at ease.
Learn more about our breast cancer treatments:
- Breast Surgery - including breast-conserving and nipple- and skin-sparing procedures
- Breast Chemotherapy - including chemoprevention for high-risk patients
- Breast Radiation - including single-dose, intraoperative radiation therapy, or IORT
- Targeted Therapies for Breast Cancer - including the latest advances against breast cancer
- Breast Endocrine (Hormone) Therapy - including estrogen blockers