New Hospital Entrance and Parking Changes
In December 2019, MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center started an exciting expansion and renovation project – the largest in our more-than-40-year history. When it is complete, MedStar Southern Maryland Center will have a state-of-the-art emergency department to provide our community with the best care and a new hospital front entrance complete with a 24-hour café! (Depicted in rendering below)
The week of December 8, 2019, the hospital opened a new, temporary front entrance for patients and visitors to access the emergency department and main hospital. This new entrance is located to the left of the main hospital building. Patients and visitors may remember this entrance as the cardiopulmonary rehabilitation entrance.
Once inside, directional signage will make it easy for patients and visitors to find where they need to go.
- A new hospital entrance – during the hospital’s renovation project, all patients and visitors will enter through a new entrance located to the left of the main hospital building
- New indoor and outdoor signs – to help you find your way easily
When will these changes take effect, and how long will they last?
The new, temporary entrance officially opened on December 12, 2019. We expect the renovation to be complete in 2021.
Why is the hospital renovating?
When the renovation is complete, MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center will have a state-of-the-art emergency department (ED) that will meet the needs of Prince George’s County and Southern Maryland’s residents. Here are some of the things you can look forward to:
- A total of 40 ED treatment rooms – almost 50 percent more than before
- 18,000 more square feet of space in the ED, for a total of 70,000 square feet
- Designated space for patients with mental health or behavioral issues
- A better waiting room
- Easier access for EMS personnel
- A separate area for patients who may have been exposed to pathogens
- A new front entrance, with a 24-hour café for patients and visitors
We’re committed to providing excellent care to our community throughout this renovation process. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time of transformation.
Stay Up to Date
We look forward to sharing the renovation’s progress with you. For more information and updates on this project, check out the latest edition of Health magazine, which arrives in your mailbox four times a year. You can also follow our construction updates on Facebook.
Thank you for allowing us to serve you and your family.