Labor and Delivery/Postpartum
Provides 24-hour care to expectant women of greater than 20 weeks' gestation, who present for antenatal testing, surveillance, labor evaluation, complications of pregnancy, scheduled inductions or caesarean sections. Patient care is family centered using a multidisciplinary approach. Our OB/GYN patients receive information necessary for their physical, spiritual, cultural, emotional, psychosocial and education well-being. Antepartum, intrapartum, surgical and postpartum care, education and support are provided to the OB patient and her family throughout her hospitalization.
The Nursery/Neonatal Intensive Care Unit provides a multi-disciplinary approach in order to coordinate full provision of care to the newborn and families. Services of the department are directed by the attending Neonatologist/Pediatrician. Pediatric physician coverage is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A board-certified lactation consultant (BCLC) oversees breastfeeding support services and training of staff for nursing mothers.
The Emergency Department is the largest provider of emergency services in southern Prince George's, Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties and is backed by the technology of our full-service hospital. Our collaborative ER healthcare team includes physicians, physician assistants, registered nurses, ER techs, and unit clerks. MSMHC is a Certified Stroke Center and a Primary Cardiac Center equipped with a heliport for the aerial transport of patients to or from our Emergency Department.
The Intensive Care Unit/Coronary Care Unit (ICU/CCU)
An 18-bed unit comprised of adult patients experiencing a wide variety of life- threatening disorders. Monitoring of vital functions is ongoing and provided by highly specialized critical care RNs. In addition, there is a critical care/intensivist physician overseeing the care of all patients, 24 hours per day.
This 24 bed unit provides a full range of patient cantered care for behavioral health needs of the community. This department services adolescents through geriatrics. The ultimate goal is to deliver efficient, respectful and compassionate service as well as to promote positive emotional and behavioral health.
The Partial Hospitalization Program
This program is provided by a multidisciplinary team including psychiatry, nursing, substance abuse treatment, art therapy, recreational therapy, social work and education. It provides a highly structured treatment by utilizing a variety of therapeutic services including psycho-education, medication/health education, individual/family/group counseling, medical and nursing services, recreational/activity therapy, and massage therapy.
Provides surgical intervention care for general, cardiovascular, neurological, orthopedic, ENT, gynecology, plastic, dental, maxillofacial, ophthalmology, endoscopic and podiatry outpatients and inpatients. The operating room contains ten multipurpose rooms, two cystoscopy suites, two endoscopy suites, an eye laser room and a pain clinic.
MSMHC features the latest technology available, such the nationally acclaimed Jackson Spinal Surgery Top Table, Picker 5000 Imaging System, and state-of-the-art surgical suites.
Post - Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
Assures the safe and rapid recovery of patients who have received an anesthetic. Blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respirations, EKG are observed and monitored. Patients are closely observed to assure that pain control and psychological needs are met.
Medical/Surgical and Telemetry Nursing
Our medical/surgical nurses work in a combined practice setting with emphasis on patient education and pain management. Our clinical focuses include the following services:
- Cardiovascular/ Telemetry Services: This service has the ability to continuously monitor the cardiac rhythm for patients that need anti-arrhythmia infusion, intravenous anti-coagulant therapy, dobutamine/dopamine infusion, pre-post cardiac cath and coronary angioplasty care, and pre-post arteriogram care.
- Pulmonary Services: This unit is integrated with support from Respiratory Care services. Patients are treated for a wide variety of pulmonary conditions including pneumonia, COPD, pneumothorax and hemothorax. Post-op care is also delivered for thoracotomy, lobectomy and chest trauma. In addition to providing pulmonary services this unit also provides telemetry services.
- Neurology Services: MSMHC is a Certified Stroke Center. All nurses providing direct patient care on our stroke unit are trained annually to uphold the latest national standards. In addition to providing neuro services this unit also provides telemetry services.
- Oncology Services an Orthopedic Services: Our Chemotherapy and Orthopedic services are primarily provided on the same nursing unit. Chemotherapy and blood transfusions are administered. Educating patients in pain management and optional support services are an integral part of services provided to our oncology patients. For Orthopedic services we provide Traction, casting, (joint) hip and knee replacements and post-op care for all ranges of orthopedic surgeries. In conjunction with nursing, therapies are available through our Rehabilitation Department.
- Renal Services: Hemodialysis performed by a contracted on-site dialysis unit. MSMHC staff nurses provide pre and post Hemodialysis care and peritoneal dialysis in conjunction with patient/family education. In addition to providing renal services this unit also provides telemetry services.
This department, mainly comprised of nurses, provides inside and outside hospital services to patients preparing for discharge.
Cardiac Catheterization Lab
MSMHC has two cardiac catheterization labs with a full-service interventional angiography team using the latest G.E. and new Philips combination cath lab and angio suite. The latest Acuson sonography units are available to assist in vascular and intra-abdominal imagery. All of the latest, most complex interventional procedures are performed, including tips, embolizations, stent placement, angiography and thrombolysis. An experienced nursing team is responsible for monitoring life support and administering medications that keep our patients safe and comfortable.